Thursday 13 August 2015

Ordered some parts...

While I continue to read on the topics of quadcopter flight dynamics and control, I've decided that the next logical step was to play with the I2C protocol and try to generate PWM signals to eventually drive the brushless motors of the quadcopter. I'll write up more on those topics soon. In the meantime, here are the parts I ordered to start experimenting:
  • Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver I2C Interface (here)
    • This is based on the NXP PCA9685 chip. It supports the I2C protocol, so I won't be using too many GPIO pins on the Pi, and it can drive PWM signals on up to 16 channels. It's more than what I need for the 4 motors of a QuadCopter, but it could be reused to prototype something else.
    • I would have loved to just buy the NXP chip, but it's only available in surface mount packages (no DIP, or something I could have mounted in a socket). Since I don't yet have the funds to have customs PCBs made, I'll stick with the pre-assembled hobbyist board :-)
  • Adafruit Raspberry Pi Model B+ Breakout Kit  (here)
    • Going to use that to do some quick prototyping on a breadboard and get easy access to the 40 pins on the Pi.
I've had a hard time sourcing the components. Amazon.com has everything but they don't ship electronics to Canada for some reason.

I've been able to find a few Montreal local stores (they also ship across Canada). They offer free in-store pickup when you order online.
Digikey.ca is American but they also ship to Canada. They basically have EVERYTHING you would dream of, but the shipping cost is a bit higher.

In terms of tools, I'll need to buy a decent soldering iron and an oscilloscope. The scope is not absolutely necessary, but it might prove very useful when debugging the circuits.

No comments: